Skip to main content

The Malnourishment of Radyo Kahimsug



(Note: The views and opinions expressed in this article are mine alone and it does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the company that I am connected with.)

Despite the emergence of the new media today, we can never deny the importance of mainstream media in the molding our minds. The so-called trimedia, which consists of print, radio, and television, acts as a primary source of information for us long before Facebook had given birth to Newsfeed.

On a personal note, I really wanted to become a radio personality. I always imagined myself before talking to a microphone and sharing my opinions to the public. In fact, I want to become an influencer through this medium. Despite the change of career, my love for this medium has not dwindled. I still listen to radio every morning just to get my daily dose of news bites to fuel my day-to-day activities. As a teacher, it helps me create sound judgment to issues that matter in our society.

One of my most favorite radio station in DYNE 97.5 Radyo Kahimsug. It is one of the radio stations of the National Nutrition Council that bridged the gap of misinformation in the Barili community. Intended to provide relevant news and radio programs that fight malnutrition, it has served my neighborhood for a few years now, and I believe that it has also served its purpose.

I was very proud when I was able to anchor one of its radio programs as the representative of the youth sector. Even though that it was just a very short stint, I was so euphoric when it was time for me to share some social media etiquettes that I believe every Barilinian should embody. I was very nervous during that time. I am glad that I was able to overcome these as the minutes went by. It was one of the best moments of my life.


Despite all these, I observed that it has not progressed after a few years. There are still improvements that need to be done to ensure that it will continue to serve its constituents. Since most of its listeners have moved to the internet, it also needs to keep up to maintain its relevance. Its social media page is also not updated. They should also publish some posts that could awaken the senses of its audience. In fact, they need to post something at all. The page is outdated. They need to post timely information for the readers to digest.

They should also update its radio programming. I observed that they usually have a lot of talk shows that are not related to its cause. It should take a step back and assess the quality of shows that it produces. They do not have an updated roster of informercials that could keep the listeners hooked with the station. I have observed that they usually rely on their mother station for their infomercials. They should also make sure that they can create infomercials that are tailor-fit to the taste of the Cebuano crowd because most of their commercials are in Filipino.

This article does not mean to jeopardize the reputation of our beloved radio station. In fact, I wanted to help them. I hope that I could extend a helping hand soon. :)

PS: I LOVE YOU SIR JEROME AND DJ LIGAYA!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Technology: A Friend or A Foe?

With the advent of technology today, I cannot help but wonder what will happen to me if these technologies did not exist. Whether it may be mobile devices or the internet, it has made our lives easier, faster, and more convenient. We can easily communicate with our loved ones no matter where they are located in the globe. We can now do errands quicker and cheaper. In the general sense, technology has given us more free time than our ancestors. The time that they used in handwriting their letters, we can spend it to more worthwhile activities as we did not devote most of our time on this tedious task thanks to computer's word processing software. We can now quickly look for information on the internet in just a snap of a finger. Unlike our grandparents, they need to stay in the library for hours just to watch for the information that they need. To state the obvious, we are just so goddamn lucky. As a teacher, I really thank the invention of computers and the internet.

Rural vs. Urban Communities: Which is Better?

I have lived in the urban jungle for almost half of my life. Also, I have been a probinsiyano for half of my life as well. I have had some of the ups and downs of my life in these two communities. I have played, studied, and worked both in the city and the province. I have had my elementary and tertiary education and call center work in the city. In the province, I had my primary and secondary education and my current teaching work. I have some of the partners both in the province and the city. I have also met some of my greatest friends in these two communities. This is why I am so confused why some people are comparing the two. In the online world, the so-called netizens have spoken to which is better: the city life or the provincial one. Some say that provincial life is better regarding landscape and environment, but some are convinced that education and work opportunities are way better in the city compared to the province. Since I have lived in the best of both worlds

Let's Have Some FUNds: Chronicles of A Non-Saver

I have never been a fan of saving. All throughout my life, my Mom is always there for me to provide all my needs. In fact, most of the people that I know consider me as a compulsive buyer. I just want to have everything that I want in an instant. The sad reality is that is not how the world works. Though I had a lot of part-time gigs and sidelines prior to my graduation, my finances are more or less sustained by my parents. With just one phone call, they could always send me some money through money courier services. I never had any financial before. But when graduation happened, everything started to change. The first company that I some with was a state university located a few meters from my home in the province. It offered some measly pay that I believe is not enough for my then workload. Because I was a fresh graduate, I had no choice but to understand the situation. I accepted my fate wholeheartedly and continued my work as a teacher. It may not have paid me that much, but