Skip to main content

Our Battle Against Fake News



As an educator, I always make it to a point to make my students see the realities of life. In fact, I always integrate current events to my lessons to make sure that my students are active in the societal discourse. This is the reason why I ever let them research information that could help in our discussion. About this, information has become a daily staple of the modern Filipino. This is what social networking sites offer to us. It gives us information to what is happening to our neighbors, their pets, their careers, and stuff that we do not bother to care. It has brought us closer as people.

The world has become smaller, they say. Communication has also become easier. The internet has removed our borders. We can easily contact our distant relative through FB messenger. We can always call our client through Skype. We can even instantly send a funny GIF to our friend who lives miles away from us. Information can easily be acquired. And that starts a problem.

I believe we are currently experiencing a paradox. Information has tremendously increased in just a few decades thanks to the internet. The information that we looked for in the library for days, even weeks or months if we are unlucky, can now be easily be accessed on the internet in just a few seconds. It can also even give us a lot of information about a particular subject in this span of time. It has made our life more comfortable, hasn't it?

Despite all this massive number of information that can be easily be accessed, our fact-checking capabilities need to be reassessed. We do not know how to differentiate substantial and accurate information to those who are not. We readily believe what we see on the internet, thinking that all of these are true, because, as funny as it sounds, it is from the internet, so it must be true. Sorry for slapping you to the reality, Brenda, but it is not.

As a mass communication graduate, it is not surprising that I know about triangulation of sources. It means that before we believe about something, we need to make sure that three subjects confirm it. In fact, it should also come from at least three perspectives. Let us say for example if a man was hit by a truck. Ideally, we should get information from at least three eyewitnesses. As a reporter, we should also get statements from the police, his immediate family, and the driver who hit him. It is just a news gathering technique.
The problem now arises when our internet users do not know about triangulation of sources. Sometimes, they have become victims of misinformation or wrong of false information but not intended to harm or deceive. What is worse is when they are bombarded with disinformation or wrong or misleading information designed to hurt or deceive. It is the cousin of fake news or disinformation in the form of a story. Digital natives and immigrants alike are still not well versed in distinguishing from real news to the fake ones. We have become more vulnerable. We have become targets of disinformation. And we need to start working before it is too late.

This is the reason why we should always be critical before digesting information. We should check and recheck the information that we receive. A simple Google search is not a tedious process. It is always better than looking dumb in the eyes of the judgmental Facebook audiences just because we shared that meme that Rowan Atkinson has died.

We should not just rely on the journalists. We should also be at the forefront of the battle against fake news. We have a moral obligation to fight these. No matter what our role in the society is, we should all stand and promote better information gathering efforts. Together, let's fight fake news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Technology: A Friend or A Foe?

With the advent of technology today, I cannot help but wonder what will happen to me if these technologies did not exist. Whether it may be mobile devices or the internet, it has made our lives easier, faster, and more convenient. We can easily communicate with our loved ones no matter where they are located in the globe. We can now do errands quicker and cheaper. In the general sense, technology has given us more free time than our ancestors. The time that they used in handwriting their letters, we can spend it to more worthwhile activities as we did not devote most of our time on this tedious task thanks to computer's word processing software. We can now quickly look for information on the internet in just a snap of a finger. Unlike our grandparents, they need to stay in the library for hours just to watch for the information that they need. To state the obvious, we are just so goddamn lucky. As a teacher, I really thank the invention of computers and the internet.

Rural vs. Urban Communities: Which is Better?

I have lived in the urban jungle for almost half of my life. Also, I have been a probinsiyano for half of my life as well. I have had some of the ups and downs of my life in these two communities. I have played, studied, and worked both in the city and the province. I have had my elementary and tertiary education and call center work in the city. In the province, I had my primary and secondary education and my current teaching work. I have some of the partners both in the province and the city. I have also met some of my greatest friends in these two communities. This is why I am so confused why some people are comparing the two. In the online world, the so-called netizens have spoken to which is better: the city life or the provincial one. Some say that provincial life is better regarding landscape and environment, but some are convinced that education and work opportunities are way better in the city compared to the province. Since I have lived in the best of both worlds

Let's Have Some FUNds: Chronicles of A Non-Saver

I have never been a fan of saving. All throughout my life, my Mom is always there for me to provide all my needs. In fact, most of the people that I know consider me as a compulsive buyer. I just want to have everything that I want in an instant. The sad reality is that is not how the world works. Though I had a lot of part-time gigs and sidelines prior to my graduation, my finances are more or less sustained by my parents. With just one phone call, they could always send me some money through money courier services. I never had any financial before. But when graduation happened, everything started to change. The first company that I some with was a state university located a few meters from my home in the province. It offered some measly pay that I believe is not enough for my then workload. Because I was a fresh graduate, I had no choice but to understand the situation. I accepted my fate wholeheartedly and continued my work as a teacher. It may not have paid me that much, but